IT certifications can give you the most bang for your buck regarding professional development in the tech industry. According to Skillsoft’s IT Skills and Salary Report, 91% of IT pros hold at least one certification, and 56% of certification holders say IT certifications have made them better at their jobs. Employers agree. A whopping 96% of IT managers feel certified staff add value to the organization, and 41% say IT certifications are key to closing their skills gaps.
We asked our tech recruiters which IT certifications they’re asked to look for most. Of course, the specific ones that are most in demand and the best fit for your skills and goals will vary. Use these insights to help you brainstorm your next moves.
Here are the IT certifications we love:
- AWS Certifications: Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading cloud platform, and there is a high demand for skilled professionals who can design, deploy, and manage AWS infrastructure and applications. The AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional certification is one of the most in-demand IT certifications out there and also happens to be among the highest paying.
- Google Cloud Certifications: Google Cloud remains one of the fastest-growing cloud platforms, and there is a high demand for skilled professionals who can design, deploy, and manage Google Cloud infrastructure and applications. The Google Cloud Professional Cloud Architect and Professional Data Engineer certifications are two of the most in-demand IT certifications. If you’re entry-level, look at the Google Cloud Associate – Cloud Engineer certification as a start.
- Azure Certifications: Not to be left in the dust, Microsoft Azure is another significant cloud platform with a high demand for skilled professionals who can design, deploy, and manage its infrastructure and applications. The Azure Solutions Architect Expert and Azure DevOps Engineer Expert are two of the most requested certifications in this area, while Microsoft Azure Data Scientist Associate can be a worthwhile consideration for a budding data scientist.
- Project Management Professional (PMP): The PMP certification is the gold standard for project management professionals, widely recognized across all industries. PMP-certified professionals have a fair amount of job security as organizations are eternally looking for project managers who can effectively plan, execute, and control complex projects.
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM): Information security is a top priority for organizations of all sizes, and there is a high demand for skilled professionals who can assess, manage, and protect information assets. CIO Magazine considers the CISM certification one of the most valuable IT certifications for 2024 for those moving up the ladder. You need at least five years of previous work experience in information security within the past ten years to qualify to take the exam.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH): CEH-certified professionals are in high demand, as organizations are increasingly looking for ethical hackers to test their systems for vulnerabilities and identify potential security risks. Combine the certification with others like Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), and you can significantly boost your earning potential, according to Analytic Insight’s Pardeep Sharma.
- DevOps Certifications: DevOps is a set of practices that combine software development and IT operations to shorten the software development lifecycle and provide continuous, high-quality delivery. As organizations adopt these practices, they search for DevOps-certified professionals who can lead the way. The DevOps Institute Certified Associate (DOIA) and the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) are two of the most in-demand IT certifications in this area.
These are just a few of the many in-demand IT certifications in 2024. There are also great opportunities out there for VMware professionals, ScrumMasters, Citrix-certified associates, ITIL professionals, and more. If you’re unsure which path to take with your next IT certifications, talk it through with our tech recruiters. You may discover that a little tweak in your professional development could lead to the better work and pay you hope to find.